Originally the decorative cupola from the first New Sharon High School from around 1880. When the school building was demolished, Mr. and Mrs. Ole Ness placed the cupola on their farm north of New Sharon. Cupolas are designed to allow natural light and ventilation into structures, especially in barns or taller buildings that need good circulation to maintain the roof and interior wood pieces directly below it. This was moved to the Nelson Pioneer Farm in 1986 and is used during our Fall Festival to sell drinks or other items.

A Note to Photographers

Please call our Director Mac at 641-672-2989 or email her at to get permission to come take photographs of the property. This is not an open site and permission is necessary so we can let our property caretaker know.