Buxton, Iowa, was a company town established by the Consolidation Coal Company circa 1900. It sat on the county line between Mahaska and Monroe, with Buxton proper sitting mostly in Monroe County. The town grew rapidly as miners came from eastern portions of the US and abroad to work the coal mines. Buxton was an integrated town of African American, Irish/Irish-Americans, and Scandinavian/Scandinavian-Americans. Miners received equal pay regardless of race. Homes and businesses were quickly constructed, and Buxton became a thriving town with churches, schools, professional offices, grocery stores, and YMCA. At its peak, Buxton had upwards of 5,000 residents. When the mines closed in 1923, most residents moved on to the next coal seam; houses were deconstructed and moved to the next location.
The last family left Buxton around 1927. Nothing remains of the town but a few foundations in a privately-owned pasture. This house was moved to Oskaloosa. It housed a family until 2006, then was sold to the Central Reformed Church. The church was planning an expansion and the MCHS purchased the building for $1.00 before moving it to the site in 2007.